About Tankwa Lodge
Tankwa Lodge, located in the Northern Cape town of Calvinia welcomes visitors with true warm country hospitality.
The Lodge offers 25 rooms (seven room with air-conditioning and 18 rooms with fans). All rooms have an en-suite bathroom with either a shower or bath.
Tankwa Lodge has a sparkling swimming pool to cool off in during the hot summer months. There is also a beer garden and an a la carte restaurant. The restaurant is independently owned and operated. Secure parking is provided for lodge guests.
Our conference room can accommodate up to 80 delegates (school room seating) and 40 delegates (boardroom seating) and is situated at the Calvinia Hotel premises.
Calvinia was founded in 1851 on the Oorlogskloof River and named after religious reformer Johan Calvin. The town lies at the foot of the dolerite topped Hantam Mountains. The word ‘hantam’ is a Khoi word meaning ‘where the red bulbs grow’. It is the region’s key growth point and one of the country’s largest wool-producing areas. Calvinia enjoys 80% starlight and the night sky is an attraction for many city dwellers and astronomers.
Activities in and around Calvinia
• 4×4 routes - there are a number of routes either along the escarpment with picturesque views and San paintings or along the riverbed with huge Namaqua fig trees clinging to the rock surfaces
• Akkerendam Nature Reserve
• Dutch Reformed Church - designed by a Potchefstroom architect, the church is Neo-Gothic in style and cost £1,200 to build
• Grave of Abraham Esau – an Anglo-Boer War martyr
• Museum - housed in the art deco Old Synagogue built in 1920, the exhibit portrays the lives of the early European settlers. A Cedarwood horse mill and old locomotive train relate the history of the area
• Spring Flowers - during the Flower Season (September - October)
• Hantam Meat Festival - a local farmers festival, well known all over Southern Africa (last weekend in August)