Things To Do in HartenbosATKV Hartenbos Museum of the Great Trek
Where? Kaap De Goede Hoop Laan, Hartenbos, Garden Route, Western Cape
When? Please enquire.
How? Call +27 (0)44 601-7243
How much? Price on request
The ATKV-Hartenbos Museum of the Great Trek documents the Voortrekkers - the Boers (Dutch farmers) who famously moved en-masse from the Cape in 1838 in search of land away from the stranglehold of Colonial rule. The Voortrekkers took everything they had, including cattle, oxen, furniture and horses - and moved over mountains and over rivers to new places of settlement.
The Museum commemorates the Symbolic Ox Wagon Trek of 1938 - the re-enactment of the event that took place in its centenary year. The ATKV Hartenbos Museum boasts a fine collection of historical artifacts, including ox wagons, weapons, household implements and clothing etc Preparing for the Great Trek:
• Outspan (camping and relaxing) at the end of a day`s journey:
• Repairing the ox wagons;
• Building a laager (the traditional camp in which the wagons were drawn onto a circle for protection against attack);
• How the Boers relaxed during the Great Trek;
• Daily activities (baking bread, candle making);
• Settling in after the journey (featuring family worship in a Boer homestead); and
• The Voortrekkers' Freedom struggle.
The museum also documents the history of Hartenbos.