About Lavender Beach
Cosy, up-market self-catering accommodation in a three-bedroom holiday cottage - sleeping up to 8 people - with a separate flat sleeping up to three people, in Vermont, Greater Hermanus. Only 10 minutes’ walk from Onrus beach and 200 meters from a tidal pool, this attractively decorated home and flat offer sea and mountain views and are just 10 minutes from Hermanus, which promises the best land-based whale watching opportunities in the world.
Just over an hour from Cape Town, Lavender Beach Cottage offers a complete retreat from the rush of the city. Situated virtually on the beach, with only a magnificent seaside cliff path between you and the ocean, the cottage lies against the backdrop of the Onrust Mountain - the land stretching down from the cottage towards the Onrus River lagoon and the sea.
self catering accommodation
THE COTTAGE (SLEEPS 2 TO 8 PEOPLE)
• One main bedroom downstairs, with double bed and lovely sea views
• Two loft-style bedrooms upstairs: one with a double bed and one single bed and one with three single beds. Gorgeous sea views!!
• One bathrooms with a basin, shower and toilet upstairs
• Two separate bathrooms downstairs - one with a bath and one with a shower
• Open-plan lounge/dining/kitchen area
• Dining room table seats up to eight guests
• Fully-equipped kitchen, including cutlery, crockery, fridge/freezer, microwave oven, stove and under-counter oven and dishwasher
• Laundry with washing machine, tumble dryer, ironing facilities and a vacuum cleaner
• Sea-facing patio with wooden table, six chairs and an umbrella
• Bedding in all the rooms
• Built-in braai area - in the garden, between the house and flat
• Full DSTV- all channels, DVD Player, Radio/CD player (Digital Satellite TV with both British and American programming)
• 2nd TV set in the loft bedroom
THE FLAT (SLEEPS 1 TO 3)
• Open plan loft room with king-size bed, single bed and beautiful sea views
• En suite bathroom with bath, basin and toilet
• Mini kitchenette with fridge/freezer, microwave oven, toaster, kettle and electric frying pan; cutlery and crockery for four people
• TV, DVD player Lovely rear garden with patio, garden furniture and Weber Braai
• No smoking indoors
• Off-street parking available
• We meet and greet on arrival
• Airport transfers by arrangement
• Property is not enclosed, no animals please.
• Supermarkets are close by in the village and it will take you five minutes to a big shopping mall "Gateway" halfway between Vermont and Hermanus.
• The place is ideal for families, retired guests or a group of friends traveling together.
about vermont and the area
Vermont means ‘Green Mountain’ and is named after the American state of the same name. It borders on Onrus to the west, and a number of green belts - established to maintain the endemic fynbos, bird life and tranquility.
Nearby Onrus is a real gem - a coastal village with magical, unspoilt surroundings and warm and interesting people. Onrus is a well-known mecca for famous artists and authors who ascribe to the tranquil beauty and peaceful pace at which everyone here lives.
From the cottage, set against the Onrust Mountain, you can take easy walks along the coastline towards the Onrus River lagoon and the sea, passing tidal pools and benches posted at opportune intervals. From here you can watch the Southern Right whales that visit our shores annually from June to October, or simply take the chance to contemplate your surroundings.
The village of Onrus nestles between a sandy swimming beach, the mountain and the lagoon. The beach is a popular surfing spot and the tidal pool offers a wonderful swim. Onrus is a cool, green haven that offers all the necessary shops, restaurants, pubs, art galleries and nearby Hemel-en-Aarde wine valley, to make your stay here complete.
things to do:
• Golf - Arabella, Hermanus & Kleinmond (15 min)
• Swimming - 10min from Onrus Beach, 200m from tidal pool
• Fishing & diving - right in front of the house is an excellent spot to dive for crayfish and a slipway to launch your boat or canoe
• Mountain walks & hikes - Fernkloof Nature Reserve & Caledon wild flower reserve
• Harold Porter National Botanical Gardens - Betty's Bay, a popular attraction for flora lovers - 20 minutes’ drive
• Sunset cruises on the Stanford River - African Queen Cruises
• Caledon Spa, health centre and casino - 30 minutes’ drive
• Cycling - bring your bicycle
• Whale watching - the best land-based watching in the world - just 10 minutes away!
• Boat trips - deep sea fishing/whale watching/harbour tours
• Shark cage diving - Kleinbaai
• Wine tasting - in the Hemel-en-Aarde Valley, seven wineries - 10 minutes’ drive
• Saturday’s 07:30 - 12:00 Hermanus: Farmers' Market, 09:00 Hermanus: Hermanuspietersfontein
• Saturday Craft Market in the village square! Don’t miss this opportunity for local arts and crafts
• Beer tasting - Birkenhead Brewery - Stanford
DAY TRIPS 60 - 80 MINUTES’ AWAY
• Cape Town city centre - art galleries, museums, bohemian Long Street, trendy beaches and Table Mountain’s cableway
• V&A Waterfront - the aquarium, movies, many shops and restaurants
• Wine routes of Stellenbosch and Franschhoek & Robertson
• Scenic towns and villages - Arniston, Waenhuiskrans, Bredasdorp, Caledon, Elim, Genadendal, Bettys Bay, Stanford, Napier
• Cape Agulhas - Visit the most southern tip of Africa - 1 hour away