About Sea Why
Sea Why Apartment is situated in Natures Valley, within an area of exceptional beauty, the Tsitsikamma, central to the Southern Cape rain forest - the largest remaining rain forest in Southern Africa.
The coastal town is situated within the borders of the De Vasselot section of the Tsitsikamma National Coastal Park - the only town in South Africa to be situated in a National Park! The park and the bordering Bloukrans State Forest offer twelve of the most beautiful one day hiking trails in the Southern Cape. Interesting aquatic life occurs in the lagoon of the Groot River and off the 3km sandy beach.
Birdwatchers and other nature lovers can admire a large variety of forest birds and animals in the area. Nature's Valley is the ideal basis from where to tour the eastern part of the Garden Route. The village has a shop (limited stock) and a small restaurant.
Self Catering Accommodation
Sea Why is a self-catering apartment, with private facilities and separate entrance. The unit comprises one bedroom (en-suite) and a living room with open plan kitchen.
The bedroom offers a double bed (bedding and towels supplied), built in cupboards and electronic safe. There is an en-suite bathroom with shower, WC and basin. The living room has a bunk bed for children, a couch, easy chairs, TV (DStv Easy-View) and built in cupboard.
The open plan kitchen offers an under counter fridge, hotplate / oven, microwave oven, kettle, toaster and kitchen utensils for four persons. The small living room leads to a separate private patio with a built, undercover braai and an outdoor shower. Parking for one vehicle is available.
Sea Why is suitable for older people since all areas are on the same level. Bedding, bathroom towels and kitchen towels are supplied. Electric blankets are supplied in the winter (there are enough blankets available for winter visits). Please bring your own beach towels.
A laundry service is available in Plettenberg Bay. Because of the wild life in the village we unfortunately do not accommodate pets.
Walking / Hiking:
Natures Valley is a paradise for hikers and birders. Sea Why is within walking distance of a 3km stretch of sandy beach (+/- 300m), a lagoon, river (+/- 1km), ten different hiking trails (ranging from one to six hours) and indigenous rain forests with 500 year old Yellowwood trees, ideal for bird watching. We supply a map of the trails and tick off lists for birds and trees.
The main swimming beach (has Blue Flag status and is +/- 300m from Sea Why) is manned by life guards during the peak season. The lagoon (+/- 1km from Sea Why) is very popular for canoeing, windsurfing and family picnics, and is a children’s paradise (no power boats allowed).
Shopping & Dining:
Shopping can be done at Plettenberg Bay (30km to the west) where various supermarkets and other interesting shops in different shopping centres can be found. Various sophisticated restaurants are spread throughout Plettenberg Bay.
Within a 15km:
• Birds of Eden - the largest free-flight aviary in the world
• Monkeyland - multi-species primate sanctuary
• Tenikwa wildlife awareness centre, wildlife rehabilitation
• Crags Elephant Sanctuary - walk and interact with elephants
• The Mill living centre - mohair, leather, fine arts and restaurant
Within 20 to 50 km:
• Canopy Tours - a three hour slide tour 30 metres up in the trees
• Falls adventure - zip lines and abseiling
• Puzzle Park - 3d maze and puzzle walks
• Jukani Game Park - big cat rehabilitation centre
• Horse trails - half day, day, and moonlight trials on horseback
• Eagle Encounters - bird of prey education and rehabilitation centre
• Woodcutters Journey - explore the afromontane forest
• Ocean boat based tours - whale, dolphin and shark watching
• River Ferries and boat hire - a boat trip up the Keurbooms River
• Ocean safaris whale and dolphin watching
• Kayaking - ocean paddling
• The world’s highest bridge bungee jump