About Happy Jackal Guest House
Big Five Game-viewing on our doorstep. Addo Elephant National Park has its gates a mere 2 km away.
Easily reached from the N2, Happy Jackal Guest House is in the perfect spot for game, river or coastal activities. Extensive lawns stretch down to the riverside while unspoilt, natural bush is the habitat of kudu on the opposite banks. Port Elizabeth and its airport is only half an hour away and in the opposite direction, the historic, university town of Grahamstown would take the traveler a mere 45 minutes. The Happy Jackal is therefore in the perfect position for a wealth of day trips.
This river lodge offers a choice of 6 luxurious en-suite rooms, 5 of which have stunning river views. Guests may choose from ground floor rooms with private entrances or impressively large thatched upstairs rooms each with its own private deck. All beds are of the highest quality and dressed with percale linen. Each room has Persian rugs, flat-screen TV with satellite, free wi-fi, ceiling fans, safe, bar fridge, hairdryer and complimentary soaps. The rooms are serviced daily.
Rooms 1, 2, 3:
Double ground-floor rooms, river-front view, queen size or twin beds, sliding door to patio and river bank, en-suite bathroom with large shower.
Luxury first floor room with stunning view across the river to the bush beyond and roofed deck. This spacious room of 48 sq. m boasts extra-length king-size bed, bathroom en-suite with tub and shower, deep kudu leather sofa and Persian rugs.
Luxury, thatched, first floor room with stunning river views. Sliding door to private, outside thatched deck furnished in rustic timber. Extra-length, king-size bed, mosquito nets, en-suite bathroom with tub and shower.
This en-suite triple ground floor room has 3 single beds. High thatched roof and garden view.
Sleeps 4. Self-catering cottage comprising 2 bedrooms, one queen bed and the other twin beds. Perfect for a family. Totally private with your own entrance and secure parking. Private garden with built-in barbeque and thatched patio. Open-plan sitting room and fully equipped kitchen. Roomy bathroom with tub and shower. Flat-screen TV. Satellite, free wi-fi.
Lion King Cottage:
Sleeps 3. Self-catering unit of one large open plan room. King bed and single bed with large en-suite bathroom with tub and shower. Private entrance, small private garden. Flat screen, satellite TV, free wi-fi.
Breakfasts cater to all tastes and include English and Health breakfasts. Home-made bread, marmalades and jams and, of course, our own blend of strong filter coffee always feature. Packed lunches and evening meals are by arrangement. Evening meals are 3-course, candlelit, personally prepared suppers where conversation and good wines flow.
Facilities & Local Activities
• Game drives and Safaris at nearby Game Parks and private game reserves.
• Trips and tours arranged for elephant-back safaris, or horse-back safaris.
• Spacious dining room that opens out onto thatched lapa
• Fishing rods - the river abounds with fish.
• Beach towels and umbrellas on request
• Viewing deck on the river bank and steps down to our floating jetty
• Take our steady, 2-man canoe out on the river, complete with lifejackets .
• Boats can be hired locally - take a cruise up river - birds and river and sky.
• Swimming and water sports - the river is tidal - safe and clean, with nothing to bite you
• Extensive first-aid box
• Walking is safe around the village and further afield e.g. The Woody Cape Reserve and dunes
• The river mouth is breathtakingly beautiful, park and walk across the dunes to beaches that stretch for miles and miles! Pure bliss.
• Addo Elephant National Park is only 2km away - elephant sightings guaranteed. It has a restaurant and super gift shop too.
• Trips and tours can be arranged for: horse riding in the hills; seeing elephant from horseback or elephant back; adventure trails: Health Spa and more
• Port Elizabeth and the city lights is only 30 minutes away - cinemas, casino, seafood restaurants, dolphinarium, whale-watching, day cruises, etc.
• Friendly pub down the road
• Great selection of reading material in our double volume lounge.
• Airport shuttles (Port Elizabeth Airport).