About Cuningham's Island Guest House
Cuningham’s Island Guest House Knysna is located on safe and secure Leisure Isle, a picturesque haven of tranquility just a short drive from the hustle and bustle of central Knysna, the Waterfront, Thesen Islands and the iconic Eastern Knysna Head. Leisure Isle’s unique, unhurried country feel is ideal for those visitors seeking to get away from it all and yet remain in close proximity to the area’s multitude of attractions.
Our seven en suite non-smoking rooms offer comfortable accommodation in a relaxed, hospitable and secure environment. Whether you’re on holiday, on business, on honeymoon or just passing through Knysna you will find Cuningham’s the ideal destination.
Our family room, situated at the back of the house and suitable for a family with two children, comprises two inter-leading bedrooms with a shared bathroom and a small courtyard area. Other options available are superior double and standard double or twin rooms, situated either in the main house or at the pool side. All rooms contain extra length queen or twin beds and have their own separate entrances.
In room facilities include TV, hairdryer, fans, heaters, tea / coffee making facilities and electrical adapters. All beds are hygienically treated and are dressed in crisp, pure percale cotton linen, ensuring a good night’s rest.
Our scrumptious breakfasts are just what the doctor ordered to kick-start your day. Our pool area with its cozy loggia and honesty bar is a great place to unwind and relax. Free Wi-Fi is available throughout the guest house. Safe off street parking is provided.
Host and staff
Cuningham’s is owner run – Tim and his staff leave no stone unturned in ensuring that your Knysna stay lives up to all your expectations. Our staff is always on hand to advise with and make bookings for any activity, excursion or dining experience.
Within walking distance of Cuningham’s is Bollard Bay beach, offering safe lagoon bathing and unrivalled views towards the Knysna Heads. Another local must see is Steenbok Nature Reserve with its indigenous garden, paved walkways, wetlands and variety of bird species. Walkers, joggers and cyclists will delight in the island’s maze of pretty country lanes and beautiful open gardens.
Knysna’s spectacular Eastern Head is a short drive away. Golfers are spoiled for choice with 3 quality courses a chip and a putt away – Pezula, Knysna Golf Course and Simola. Water sports enthusiasts have the Knysna Lagoon on their doorstep, where anything from snorkeling and fishing to kite surfing and boat cruises are on offer. Leisure Isle has lawn bowls, tennis and table tennis facilities, as well as its own library. Lunches and teas are served at Leisure Isle Coffee Shop, adjacent to our local art gallery and antique shop. A plethora of fine restaurants, shops, museums, galleries and other attractions are within easy driving distance.
• Safe swimming beaches at Buffalo Bay and Plettenberg Bay
• Featherbed Private Nature Reserve on Knysna’s Western Head
• A choice of forest and coastal hikes, as well as horse riding and MTB trails
• Outdoor markets in Harkerville and Sedgefield
• Noetzie with its unique castles on the beach
• Knysna Elephant Park and Radical Raptors
• Packwood, Newstead and Bramon wine estates
• Adventure Land and Plett Puzzle Park for children
• For shoppers Old Nick Village, Global Village, Langa Lapu and the Mill Mohair & Décor Village
• Monkeyland, Birds of Eden, Tenikwa, Elephant Sanctuary and Lawnwood Snake Sanctuary in The Crags
• Botlierskop, Buffelsdrift and Plettenberg Bay Game Reserves
• Between Mossel Bay and Tsitsikamma adrenalin junkies may choose from bungy jumping, zip lining, canyoning, sky diving, paragliding, shark cage diving, abseiling, river tubing and much more.
• Oudtshoorn, South Africa’s ostrich capital, is the perfect base for exploring the Cango Caves, Cango Wildlife Ranch and the Karoo wine and brandy producers