Welcome to Bishops Cove Lodge on SA-Venues.com, offering accommodation in Eersterivier, Tsitsikamma.
To the south lies the pristine rugged coast with its ever changing ocean; to the east, a dramatic drop into the forested Boschkloof; to the North, a small stream gurgles through a steep valley hidden by its forest canopy; and to the west, a hill covered with fynbos protects the lodge from the occasional passing cold front. All this within a stones throw of the shaded verandas of the lodge. A little further inland, the scenery is tranquil and pastoral with lush pastures, dairy cows, and the lofty Tsitsikamma mountains.
Groups of up to 14 guests can be accommodated in the two self-contained units which have a total of six bedrooms.
The Lodge unit consists of a large open-plan living and dining area with a spacious modern kitchen. The living-room opens up on three sides onto covered veranda’s, each with its own dramatic views. There are four bedrooms in all, two en-suite and two with two separate bathrooms. The two en-suite bedrooms open onto a large covered deck facing the crashing waves.
The Sunbird Cottage has two spacious en-suite bedrooms, and an open plan living area and small kitchen, opening out onto a large covered deck.
• B&B or fully catered option available by prior arrangement
• Dishwasher (in the main unit only), microwave, and ample freezer and fridge space
• Washing machine and tumble drier
• Braai facilities
• TV (bring your own DStv card)
• Fireplace in main unit / heater in other unit
Hiking, cycling, birding, swimming, and relaxing are the most popular activities. There are several hiking trails along the shoreline, on the edge of the cliffs, and into the indigenous forests. One may encounter large bushbuck and several other types of antelope, dassies, genet, porcupines, mongoose, and other small game. On the water’s edge or in the ocean, the Cape clawless otter is still sited fairly regularly. Dolphin are sited close inshore almost on a daily basis whilst whales are common in the winter months. Seals and penguins are occasional visitors to this part of the coast.
The area is unique from a birding perspective due to the presence of birds of the seashore, grassland birds, coastal bush birds, and forest birds - all within one geographical area. Although the coast is rocky and rugged, the lodge overlooks a rare, small, protected beach. Cyclists can make use of the miles of rural, quite, unpaved roads passing beautiful dams, pastures, and plantations.
DAY OUTINGS NEARBY
• 9-hole golf course at Eersterivier (10km away)
• Storms River (45km) for blackwater tubing, forest canopy tours, and many other adventure activities
• Several official hiking trails (e.g. Otter Trail, mountain and forest trails)
• Tsitsikamma National Park (55km) - a popular coastal reserve with hiking trails and a diving trail
• Plettenberg Bay (110km), Jeffrey’s Bay (75km), Cape St Francis (95km)
• Langkloof Valley (30km): fruit farms, fynbos, and proteas
Tsitsikamma Tourism Association
ACCREDITATIONS (as claimed by the establishment)