About Thornbay Accommodation
Thornbay Accommodation is the prime accommodation establishment in the coastal town of Doringbaai, a small town in southern Namaqualand, situated on the West Coast of South Africa, north of Lamberts Bay and south of the Olifant's River mouth. Here you can enjoy total relaxation in a safe and friendly environment.
At Thornbay the guests experience purchasing their fresh crayfish or fish from the locals whilst sitting on their braai patios or walking to the little harbour when they see the small fishing vessels returning with their catch of the day.
At Thornbay Accommodation we offer eight fully equipped, self-catering apartments, each leading onto their own braai patio with fantastic views of the sea, often accompanied by breath-taking sunsets over the Atlantic Ocean. Thornbay is pet friendly for well behaved animals (please inform when making a reservation).
Whale and Dolphin
Open-Plan (maximum 2 adults and 2 children under 12)
Bonito and Garrick
1 bedroom (maximum 2 adults and 2 children under 12)
Shark / Dorado / Barracuda / Marlin
2 bedroom (maximum 4 adults and 2 children under 12) or (maximum 4 adults and 4 children under 12). 3 of the apartments can inter-lead into each other and can be created into a 4 bedroom apartment.
All apartments are equipped with double / single beds, all linen and towels (not beach towels), stove, microwave, kettle, toaster, fridge-freezer combination, cutlery and crockery and braai equipment. TV with channels 1, 2, 3, Etv and Mnet is provided. There is a restaurant and sports pub a minutes walk from the apartments.
• Swimming pool
• Mini gym
• Mini library
• Pool / games room
• Fish shop for all your seafood needs (crayfish, oysters, snoek, line fish, mussels, calamari, shrimps, seafood mix etc.)as well as fishing equipment (and bait) and limited diving equipment, wood and ice.
• Kayaks for hire
• Boat fishing trips (mostly in December holidays)
Attractions and Activities
• Fishing from the shore or from your own boat.
• Crayfish (lobster) diving.
• Surfing in Bamboesbaai.
• Kayaking out of the harbour when conditions are right or down the river.
• Windsurfing in the bay, wind permitting.
• Hiking trails along the cliffs (the Crayfish Trail).
• Bicycle routes along the coast.
• Whale watching. (From about the end of July to November.)
• Watch diamond vessels operating near the shore in good sea conditions.
• Wine routes
• Bird Sanctuary - Olifant's river mouth
• Boat trips to see Dolphins
• 4 X 4 Quad bikes route through the sand dunes
• wild flowers (August and September)
• Rittelfees - (October)