About The Restory Retreat Centre
Nestled in the picturesque foothills of the Balele Mountains on the farm Barrowfield, The Restory Retreat Centre is in the district of Utrecht and close to the pristine Zaaihoek Dam. Tucked away from town and city and enfolded by a deep and restful silence, Nature tends to us most lovingly through every season in this unspoilt and undiscovered part of our country.
In this perfect setting we offer a range of guided and self retreats providing gentle support and guidance by an experienced team of retreat facilitators.
To retreat is to step out of normal day to day life and responsibilities and isolate yourself for a time to restore energy and find renewed balance. This may sound like a frivolous luxury but nothing could be more necessary and advantageous to health, productivity and general well-being.
Our retreats are aimed at sparking creativity which gives rise to new perspectives and possibilities. Our approach focuses on reconnecting to the inner self through the gentle age old practices of becoming quiet and encouraging awareness. It is grounded in mystical spirituality and in particular the Christian contemplative tradition but the principles we apply are universal and as such the retreats are open to all. Retreats are intimate with an attendance of only six people at a time.
Our beautifully restored stone house, built in 1910, with wooden floors and wide windowsills is set in an expansive garden with large trees and old stone walls. Organic vegetable and herb gardens complete the idyllic picture along with an old ruin said to have been the home of the Great Trek leader Andries Pretorius.
The house accommodates six guests in four rooms, two with double occupancy and two single. Most of the rooms have beautiful views on the mountains, paddock and garden. All rooms are equipped with comfortable beds, luxurious linen, hair dryers, fans and heaters. Farm-style bathroom facilities are centralised and consist of a full bathroom, a separate shower room and a separate toilet.
The living areas and extensive library are at the full disposal of guests, as are the gardens. The house is wheelchair friendly.
Celebrate the senses with meals served either in the pantry, the dining room with its huge library of books or al fresco in fine weather. All meals and beverages are included in retreat packages with the aim to serve farm fresh, hearty, comforting and beautiful food.
Dietary requirements are catered for as far as possible. Participation in food preparation forms part of the retreat practice to engage the senses and fresh organic fare from the vegetable and herb garden form the mainstay of the seasonal menu.
• Guided walks down to the Womeni River and waterfall are undertaken in fine weather
• Birdwatcher’s paradise - the greater Wakkerstroom area is a world renowned birding destination
• Creative outlet is encouraged and art material is provided for that purpose. As this is a working farm and also home to artists, the milk shed, wood and steel workshop and pottery studio is situated in outbuildings and these crafts are incorporated into some of the retreat programs
• Photographer’s dream - the taking of photographs is strongly advised as the light and surroundings beg to be captured
• The garden has many shady nooks to sit and relax. Watch the sun set over Mount Majuba and discover the zillion stars of the Milky Way anew at night
• Day Visits - can be arranged for people who do not have the need to stay over
• Guided Retreats – typically held over a weekend. The following types are offered:
• Silent Retreat - the value of silence in helping us gain new balance and focus in life is explored
• Mindfulness Retreat - the purpose of the Mindfulness Retreat is to convey the principles of mindful living over the course of a weekend
• Mindfulness In The City Retreat - it is not always possible to step out of life and attend a retreat in some remote location. To this purpose, the City retreat was developed which follows a parallel program to our Mindfulness Retreat
• Whatif Retreat - a joyful and carefree weekend of getting in touch with the inner child and discovering anew what makes you come alive
• Contemplative Photography Retreat - using the camera lens as an extension of our inner seeing, contemplative photography focuses attention and holds our awareness, making it an exercise in mindfulness
• Self Retreats - we do not run a guest house, but cater for people to come on retreat individually. Private retreats are customised to meet these needs and can be for periods of three to thirty days. The retreat is unstructured and slow paced