About The Habit
This is a unique building in that it was home to the Secular Sisters of Schoonstadt (Catholic nuns) before being converted into a beautiful guest house. The serenity of The Habit, possibly due to all the prayers over a 60 year period, is added to by the high pressed ceilings, wooden floors and beds dressed in crisp white linen. Large verandahs and louvered shutters give a cooling effect in the long summer days.
A cozy lounge in winter with a fireplace is opened up in summer to let the cool shades of the garden in. An eye catching feature outdoors is a large fresh water swimming- pool set in the centre of an attractive country garden, abounding with the twitter of birds. The owner, Bridget, is your friendly host and the team of Chriszelda, Neil, Nosipho, Lalla and Linda are on hand to make your stay as happy as possible. There is a great deal to see and do in the area and they will only be too happy to direct you.
For those people who wish to do their own thing or like travelling with their animals, the two self catering garden cottages, Oak and Jacaranda, are ideal. Each has their own secure private garden if you do decide to bring “Boomer” on holiday! There are two resident dogs, “Chilli and Pepper”, Rhodesian Ridgebacks” who have learnt to open their home to other dogs, especially the guide dogs that come to stay.
The Guest House
The Habit guarantees the accreditation minimum standards required from the tourism industry and more than complies in certain areas. There are nine bedrooms altogether, three of which have twin beds and six with queen beds. All the rooms are en-suite most of which have a full bathroom and those that do not have a shower.
Some of the features are:
• Own private entrance
• DStv (bouquet of channels)
• Tea and coffee making facilities
• Ceiling fans
• Hair dryer
• Secure off street parking
Self catering units
Oak and Jacaranda cottages are situated in the adjacent building to the guest house. They each consist of three bedrooms, two with double beds and one with a bunk bed, sleeping a maximum of six people. All linen and towels are provided as well as crockery and cutlery. The lounge has DStv (bouquet of channels).
Each unit has their own private garden which is secure. A portable braai and garden furniture make outside cooking easy and relaxed, weather permitting! Pets are welcome by prior arrangement only. The self catering units do not have use of the guest house facilities.
Secure off street parking is provided by the church across the road for a small donation per night.
Arrive hungry, a feast waits! Our buffet table offers a wide selection of cereals, fresh fruit, yoghurts, cheeses and home baked muffins. Fresh farm eggs are made to order with your choice of accompaniments. Bottomless pots of coffee, a variety of teas and jugs of fresh fruit juice complete this princely meal of the day.
Dinner is also available by prior arrangement. The dining area opens onto a lovely deck and on beautiful moonlit evenings there is nothing nicer than sitting outside and dining under the starry sky.
Children at The Habit
Children are allowed but we prefer that the guests rather book a self catering cottage, which is more private. Please note however that the establishment will not take responsibility for children who cannot swim and for their safety around the open swimming pool.
• Discover the town with a self guided walking tour
• Worcester Museum (Kleinplasie)- a cultural open air living history museum of early life in the Cape
• Worcester Wine Route
• Jean Welz / Hugo Naude Art Gallery – originals by South Africa’s first “professional” artist Hugo Naude
• Karoo National Desert Botanical Garden and Kokerboom Restaurant
• Institutes for the Deaf and Blind – Worcester is the largest resource centre for the deaf and blind in Africa
• The Barn Art and Glass Gallery and coffee shop
• Fairy Glen “Big 5” Game Reserve
• Shopping – Mountain Mill Mall
MORE PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES
• Hire mountain bikes from the guest house (price on request)
• Worcester Golf Course – 18 hole championship course
• Breede River canoe trips – gentle meandering section of the river
• The Cape Town Gliding and flying club is based in Worcester. Flips arranged for those with strong constitutions
• Brandvlei Yacht Club and Quaggaskloof water -ski club
• Numerous 4x4 routes of varying difficulty – Klipbokkop, Tierkloof etc
• Hiking and birding hotspots