About Sunbird Guest House
Sunbird Guest House is situated in a beautiful country environment, just 1 hour from Durban, in the tranquil town of Howick and offers 4 star graded Bed and Breakfast accommodation.
Welcome to our graded B&B in the tranquil town of Howick, the hub of the Midlands Waterfall Country. Situated 1.5 km from the N3, the guest house is in a beautiful country environment. One hour from Durban and 4.5 hours from Johannesburg. Relax in a quiet landscaped bird and Japanese garden. For the weary traveller this B&B offers good value with a high standard of quality and security. Malaria free area.
Your host Nicky lives in the garden cottage connected by intercom, keeping the personal touch. After a long day’s journey or outing, rejuvenate, relax, and experience the effects of our private Superior Spa Jacuzzi (small fee to cover usage costs), sunbathing nearby on our secluded private lawn.
Wi-Fi, DSTV, off street parking with remote controlled access, log cabin type outdoor gazebo. Two separate private sleeping wings offering B&B rooms.
Extra length Kingsize bed with full en-suite. DSTV. Ceiling fan and wall heater. Tea and coffee making facilities. Opens out onto Japanese Garden.
King or twin beds, please state preference. Shower en-suite. DSTV. Ceiling fan and wall heater. Enclosed verandah. Tea and coffee making facilities. Opens out onto bird garden.
Queen bed, with fan and wall heater. DSTV. En-suite bathroom with shower over bath. Tea and coffee making facilities.
NB: Robin 1 and Robin 2 make an excellent family unit.
Self Catering Cottage:
Self catering garden cottage looking onto a Japanese garden. Has a separate vehicle entrance with remote controlled access. One room has a Queen bed, the other a double. It has a bathroom with shower over bath, lounge with DSTV and dining area and a fully equipped kitchen. All linen is supplied. The cottage has not yet been graded but is of a high standard.
Breakfast & Dining
English breakfast (or alternatives by prior request), is served in the communal log cabin type outdoor gazebo with fireplace. Dining and braai / barbeque facilities are available. We have a courtesy fridge with soft drinks, etc. Many restaurants in the area. Shopping centre with SPAR including TOPS Bottle Store, ATM, post office, butcher, Skippers, Scooters, hair dresser, etc. close by.
We have Wi-Fi, ADSL connection for E-Mail and Internet facilities plus computer and fax.
Hosts well travelled both internationally and locally. We offer information on the following areas:
• View the wonder of +100m Howick Falls from the viewing platform with surrounding walks and the buzz of the area (1/2 to 1 day)
• Midmar Dam is considered one of South Africa’s best inland sailing and boating venues, all within the 1600 hectare nature reserve (1/2 to 1 day)
• Make a day hike or just drive in the Umgeni Valley Reserve (Wildlife Society Project) and experience some of Africa’s wildlife and bush splendour (1/2 to 1 day)
• Tour the award winning art and craft related Midlands Meander route with over a hundred things to see and at the same time enjoy one of South Africa’s best country farming regions (1 to 2 days)
• Take a circular drive to see the magnificent southern end of the Drakensberg range with an opportunity to go to the top, into Lesotho (1 day)
• Golf at two very close courses
• Other sports nearby: tennis, squash, bowls, hot air ballooning, hang gliding and water sports
Durban - 100km, Howick Falls - 4km, Golf Sakabula and Howick - 3km, Pietermaritzburg - 20km, Karkloof Falls - 15km, Michaelhouse - 25km, Drakensberg Sani Pass - 100km, Central Berg - 130km, Hilton College - 10km, Midmar Dam - 8km, Midlands Meander - 10-60km, Umgeni Valley Reserve - 5km, Tennis and Squash - 5km.