About Rushmere Farm Cottages
Rushmere Farm Cottages are nestled into the hillside on an historic farm 3km off the N2 highway between Knysna and Sedgefield, heart of the Garden Route, along the southern coast of South Africa. Rural peace and quiet in a beautiful environment is offered to weary travellers and stressed city-dwellers.
Rushmere Farm borders onto Ruigtevlei Lake, a National Parks bird sanctuary, which in turn opens into Swartvlei and ultimately the sea at Sedgefield. A private jetty and canoes give guests access to this tranquil and little-known gem.
self catering accommodation
Superb self-catering accommodation is provided in two sunny fully-equipped cottages. Both self-catering cottages are simply decorated with country flair. Although they are semi-detached, they are very private and each is set in its own garden with an uninterrupted view over emerald pastures, dark forests and the blue Outeniqua Mountains. In the summer holiday season, B&B is available in a thatched cottage in the farmhouse garden.
CLEMENTINE COTTAGE (SLEEPS 6)
Clementine Cottage sleeps six guests in three bedrooms. The main bedroom is en-suite and there is an additional bathroom. The living area is open-plan, with French doors opening onto the patio and BBQ under a shady vine. The well-equipped kitchen includes a dishwasher and washing machine.
MARIE'S COTTAGE (SLEEPS 4)
Marie's Cottage sleeps four guests in two bedrooms. There is one bathroom and an additional, secluded, outside shower.The living area is open plan and has French doors onto the patio and BBQ under a leafy pergola. The kitchen is well equipped and has a dishwasher. Your hostess will gladly do your washing at the farmhouse.
Quirky cottage pieces and original works of art make one feel at home. Books, games, braai wood and many extras are provided to make your stay comfortable. Linen and bathtowels are included and the cottages are serviced weekly or on departure. A wholesome country breakfast can be served on the farmhouse veranda on request.
bed & breakfast accommodation
PUMULA COTTAGE (SLEEPS 2)
Pumula Cottage, a thatched cottage in the farmhouse garden, provides Bed and Breakfast for two guests. It consists of a bedroom-en-suite, kitchenette, patio with BBQ and a shady deck. An outside shower-with-a-view will be a firm favourite. Breakfast is a feast served on the patio, while being entertained by the loeries in the palm trees. This cottage is available only in summer.
attractions and activities
• Swim in the pool in the farmhouse garden or play table-tennis in the shed
• Enjoy walking on the farm
• Picnic or braai down on the jetty at sunset
• Quiet country roads are ideal for cycling and mountain bike trails are available nearby
• Close to the mountain and forests, hiking trails and world-class fairways as well as the best beaches in the area
• Recommended for birders with over 100 species, including the rare Knysna Warbler, recorded on the farm
• Eight minutes to the village of Sedgefield with all its outdoor activities and the famous Farmer's Market on a Saturday morning
• Twenty minutes drive to Knysna for shopping bliss and other urban attractions
• Forty five minutes to the airport at George
Guests are always welcomed onto the old yellowwood farmhouse veranda for a cup of tea or glass of wine. Having lived on Rushmere for over a quarter of a century, we enjoy sharing our valley and knowledge of the area with our visitors.
Note: No pets allowed.