About Main Lodge at Kariega
The internationally renowned malaria-free "Big-5" Kariega private game reserve is set in 10,000 hectares of pristine African wilderness incorporating the picturesque Kariega and Bushman’s Rivers, just 10 minutes from Kenton-on-sea and 80 minutes from Port Elizabeth. Situated in the heart of 1820 Settler Country, the reserve is a natural extension to Cape Town and the famous Garden Route.
Kariega offers a combination of “Big-5” and general game viewing and an expansive variety of fauna, flora and birdlife in a landscape that spans across 5 different eco systems offering the most dramatic views and vistas. The result is very powerful and truly unique to Kariega.
In addition to unforgettable game viewing from open vehicles with qualified game rangers, the Kariega experience is unique in its offering of a diversity of activities which include guided bush walks, river cruises, canoeing, fishing, an overnight bush camp activity, a spa and gym and visits to the nearby golden beaches of Kenton-on-Sea.
KARIEGA MAIN LODGE:
The Main Lodge at Kariega offers families, friends and couples a relaxed and friendly environment to enjoy the African bush. All the log chalets are air conditioned, with en-suite bedrooms and large private viewing decks. The lodge has been expertly integrated with the surrounding bush to create a natural environment where guests can enjoy traditional meals in the restaurant or boma, a drink at the bar or a quiet swim in the pool.
• Malaria-free (no preventative medication needed)
• A combination of 4 and 4 star superior lodges
• Children’s Program – available every day at Main Lodge
• Communal pools in all Lodges, some Main Lodge chalets with private pools and all suites in Ukhozi Lodge with private plunge pools
• Curio Shops
• Private laundry facilities
• Conference facilities
• Prolific game viewing, including the “Big 5”
• Amazing unique actitivites (Fly camp, guided bush walks and river cruises)
• Dramatic landscape incorporating 5 different eco-systems and 2 major rivers
• Proximity to the sea and beaches
The Kariega Wellness Centre is the perfect place to rest, relax and rejuvenate body, mind and soul. Situated at Main Lodge (but also available to Ukhozi and The Homestead guests) the Wellness Centre comprises two treatment rooms and a well equipped gym. Treatments for River Lodge guests are provided in the comfort of their own suite. The range of treatments and therapies include various relaxing or energizing massages, facials and the like.
Kariega is unique in it’s offering of a diversity of Activities which include:
• Morning and late afternoon/evening game drives in open vehicles with experienced game rangers
• River cruises on both the Bushmans and Kariega river’s
• Guided bush walks
• Visits to the nearby beaches of Kenton-on-Sea
Kariega is situated in the coastal belt of 1820 Settler Country and offers the following local attractions:
• Visits to Grahamstown, Salem, Bathurst and Port Alfred with their rich historical heritage
• Golfing on the Gary Player designed Fish River Sun Course a mere 40 minutes drive away or the famous Royal Port Alfred Golf Course 20 minutes drive away.