About Iona Self Catering Cottage
This cottage is set in the fertile Swartland area in Clarens. Surrounded by mountains, high Horeb rises to the east of Iona. Sometimes when Horeb is capped, collared or caped in cloud, rain is forecast. Looking to the west, there is a huge convex cliff which juts out to the left of Iona. And to its right, directly opposite the cottage, and part of the range, is a section of concave cliffs. After heavy rainfall, a waterfall flows from the corner to right of these precipitous cliffs. The cascading water is both visible and audible from the garden of Iona. In addition, Gymnogenes and Brown eagles nest in these cliffs. They can be caught gliding underneath and weaving along the winding wall of the escarpment.
Self Catering Accommodation
Why the name 'IONA'?
In his book "Civilisation", Kenneth Clark describes the island of Iona off the west coast of Scotland as secure and sacred, with a feeling that 'some God is in this place'. He adds that 'Iona gives one more than anywhere else ... a sense of inner peace and freedom'. There are several places on earth which have such qualities and I believe Clarens to be one of these.
Iona is a fully furnished self-catering cottage, which sleeps four, set in a rose garden with a large, leafy grove of twelve walnut trees. The property is enclosed by fencing and a sandstone wall. There is a stove, a microwave oven, a fridge and all the necessities required of a fully equipped kitchen. Tea, coffee, sugar and creamer are provided.
The large dining-sitting room area is provided with soft furnishings and decorated in period and new furniture and original paintings, including landscapes by Conrad Theys (a pupil of Boonzaier) and Artur Monteiro. The lounge has a TV (bring your own decoder and smart card to access DSTV), and a gas heater.
The main bedroom has a queen size, extra length bed and is en suite with both a bath and separate shower cubicle. The bed is warmed by an electric blanket. The second bedroom has two single beds with access to its own heated bathroom. Both bedrooms have underfloor heating. Two mattresses are also available for small children.
A north facing covered patio with a Weber braai is a great place to enjoy sunny morning breakfasts or lunches and evening braais. There is undercover parking next to the house for a single car.
• Numerous restaurants, art galleries and shops within walking distance
• Hiking trails, mountain walks, backpacking
• Tennis, golf, bowls, archery, fly-fishing
• Bird watching (from Iona), game viewing, dinosaur sites, rock art, historic Boer War sites
• Quad biking, cycling, Surrender Hill marathon in February, 4x4 routes
• White river rafting, canoeing, kayaking, skiing-resort in Lesotho
• Game drives on various farms in the surroundings
• Also, the colossal Katse dam in Lesotho is a major tourist attraction
• Golden Gate National Park is a 15 minute drive from Clarens where walks and game viewing can be enjoyed