About Grootbos Private Nature Reserve
Grootbos is a 5 star private nature reserve that celebrates the wonders of the dramatic landscape of South Africa. Exclusive and secluded, guests experience a world that is full of outrageous flora, miles of private beaches, and safe encounters with giants of the sea. Grootbos combines contemporary style and luxury with a relaxed natural environment to make you feel both at home, and completely pampered.
Luxury suites at Grootbos feature balconies where you can watch amazing sunsets over the Atlantic Ocean, natural textures and colors to bring the harmony of nature inside, and spacious bathrooms to complete the feeling of comfort. Relax in your lounge by a fire, and listen to calls of the forest birds into the night. Take long walks on the deserted beaches and watch whales from the coastline, or take an unforgettable cruise to see the Great White sharks, Southern Right whales, penguins and Cape Fur seals that call this coastline home. Explore the rich flora of the reserve, including ancient Milkwood forests, by foot, 4x4 or on horseback.
All meals are inclusive and served in the stylish restaurants with breathtaking views across Walker bay to Cape Point. The meals are prepared using freshly caught fish, succulent meats, and vegetables grown right on the reserve accompanied by award winning South African wines. At Grootbos you will feel welcomed to a truly unique place where conservation, luxury and relaxation have found the perfect home.
Conferences & Weddings
Grootbos Private Nature Reserve in Gansbaai offers the perfect venue for conferencing and events. We specialize in conference groups from 10-60 delegates and are not open to non-resident guests. The tranquil environment away from the hectic city lends itself to a creative and productive getaway. All facilities are fully equipped with modern audio-visual and media requirements such as video conferencing, VOIP phones, wireless internet access, data projectors, DVD players, video and television equipment, flip charts and large white screens.
The Spa at Grootbos
Pampering takes place in the comfort of your own suite or in our recently opened Bloom Salon. For the tired body, a therapeutic full body massage is a definite must, leaving you in a state of absolute calmness. For the weary feet, reflexology, including a footbath, will most certainly do the trick. Manicures, pedicures, facials and a host of other treatments are available as well.
Activities on the Reserve include:
• Guided walks and 4x4 drives through the reserve
• 1-2 hour guided walks through the ancient Milkwood Forests
• 1-2 hour guided horse rides through the reserve
• Guided excursions to the Klipgat Cave, one of the most important archaeological sites
in South Africa
• Guided trip along the nearby coast to view the whales and other marine life (June to December)
• Opportunities to explore sandy beaches, swim in sheltered bays and picnic on the beach
• Bird-watching; experience a great variety of bird species on the reserve
• Social responsibility tour/ visit the onsite social responsibility projects
• Boat-trips to Dyer Island to watch about 60.000 Cape Fur Seals, penguins, seabirds, the Great White Shark, dolphins and the Southern Right Whales (June to December)
• Shark cage diving
• Scenic Flights
Awards & Accolades
• 2006 Condé Nast Traveler’s annual Green List 2006
• 2007 Responsible Tourism Award: Best for Conservation of an Endangered Species
• 2006, 2007 &2008 Tatler Travel Guide voted as one of 101 best hotels in the world
• 2008 The Good Safari Guide: Best Community Property in Africa 2008
• 2008 Amarula Best Retreats in Africa Award: Winner: Heart of Africa 2008
• 2009 GEO Saison “Green Palm 2009”
• 2009 The Good Safari Guide: Best Community Safari Camp 2009
• 2009 Amarula Best Retreats in Africa Award: Most Innovative Lodge in Africa
Grootbos is South Africa’s leading luxury ecotourism destination and has run the non-profit Grootbos Foundation since 2005, which concentrates on various projects in aid of conservation and social development.