About Galleon Nook
Galleon Nook is a superbly situated one-bedroom cottage (sleeps two), for travellers (self catering), business or vacation, from local or abroad. In a residential suburb of Fish Hoek called Sun Valley, which is at the bottom of “Ou Kaapse Weg” (a mountain pass in Silvermine Nature Reserve), and in the middle of the Cape Peninsula leading towards Cape Point with access to the sea / beaches (five minutes), in either direction.
Noordhoek is our neighbouring suburb (Chapman’s Peak Drive five minutes), and Fish Hoek Beach is on the other side (five minutes). Simons Town is straight over Black Hill (eight minutes). Right at Black Hill is the route to Kommetjie, Misty Cliffs, Scarborough (10 minutes). This road in turn leads to Cape Point Nature Reserve where the two oceans meet at the tip of the Peninsula (25 minutes). One can also reach Cape Point driving through Simons Town (25 minutes). Cape Town city centre (25 minutes) and Cape Town International Airport (40 minutes).
Self Catering Cottage, ideal for 2 guests (one bedroom). The main bedroom with a King-size bed, or 2 single beds can be arranged. However, please note we are able to sleep a further 2 guests (max of 4 guests in total permitted at one time) on a double / narrow sleeper couch that folds out flush with the floor in the opening plan living room area. Consisting of a main bedroom with en-suite shower, toilet, basin, simple bedding is provided. The unit can also accommodate two extra children or adults could be accommodated (upon request, provided you are able to sleep on a low double sleeper couch in open plan lounge area). Maximum four for the cottage.
Cottage built behind the owner's home (lock up and go). Pool facilities elsewhere on the property in a communal area as well as a built-in-braai. Arrangements can be made to use exclusively for day / evening. Closed gates lead to the pool area which can be used to swim anytime in the day.
Double doors open to garden. Views of Sun Valley Hills, where birds of prey do their acrobatics in the sky, are seen from the cottage.
Flat screen TV (full DSTV including Disney Channel), with DVD player (local video shop).
Star views are dazzling, little commercial lighting in Sun Valley. Region is full of Cape Town fauna and flora, especially indigenous Protea species seen growing on Ou Kaapse Weg.
• Wi-Fi available (free to guests)
• Fax / scanning facilities available at home office
• DSTV satellite television (all channels), and basic DVD player with usb port
• Fully fitted equipped kitchen with washing machine, stove, microwave
• Clothes stand provided for wet clothes
• Cleaning bucket, broom, mop and pan
• Bath towels and linen provided
• Blankets provided in Winter for chilly evenings
• Cottage service (self catering, for stays longer than 7 days, bedding / towels will be changed every 7 days)
• Car hire (local or at the airport)
• Members of Cape Medical Response Member (emergency paramedic response unit based in Fish Hoek)
• Parking in the driveway (uncovered) behind remote control gate - at own risk
• Swimming pool at the main dwelling (entrance through a wooden gate),visitors are welcome to share the facility (children must be supervised at all time)
• Own small garden and patio area (non smoking establishment, smoking will be permitted on the patio area)
Note: Please bring along your own toiletries, food, refreshments, swimming towels, washing powder, dishwasher, dishcloths, blackbags, pegs & wood for fireplace (Self Catering unit).
Fully equipped kitchen with cutlery and utensils Nearby restaurants (spoilt for choice, in abundance 5-10min). Take away deliveries from Debonair's, St Elmo's and Scooters Pizza in Fish Hoek. Try the 'best' fish and chip take-away in Fish Hoek, Main Road. World class, award winning boutique hotels with restaurants (5-10 minutes).
Take the Galleon Crescent Road, leading off the main road in Sun Valley (two minutes), to intersection traffic lights at the main entrance into Sun Valley suburb where you will find a shopping mall, garage, doctors rooms, wellness centre’s and restaurants as well as Kentucky Fried Chicken and McDonalds drive through outlets. Three roads away is a bus stop - bus travel to Fish Hoek city centre where taxi, train available. Meter taxi operators, guided tours and car hire is available locally. Quiet suburb, known for its stillness, valley views and accessibility to major attractions. Wine tasting estates locally, famous routes further away on country routes.
Attractions and Activities
• Fish Hoek Beach (restaurants, trek fishermen, surfing, hobie cat, sailing, catwalk, beach strolling, play area, whale watching, jogging, churches, fishing)
• Noordhoek and Chapman’s Peak (the farm village in Noordhoek offers carols by candle light, playground, souvenirs, shops, deli & coffee eatery, tourism information office, hotel, Bobby Skinstad’s pub “The Toad” popular sportsman’s venue, live music, surfing, horse beach rides, shipwreck walk, baboon tours, exceptional scenic drives, wine tasting)
• Hout Bay (reached via Chapman’s Peak drive that starts in Noordhoek, toll charge – waterfront, shops, restaurants, Sunday flea market, working fishing harbour, seal island trips, boat hire, fishing, diving, kite surfing, shark cage diving, castle tours, wine tasting)
• Cape Point (can be reached via Simons Town or via Kommetjie) both routes scenic and visit the Ostrich Farm at Cape Point before going into the Nature Reserve to walk up the stairs at the Point (or take the famous “vernacular” to the top) and after that have lunch in their restaurant – this reserve has several picnic spots / hiking areas to explore with tidal pools
• Simons Town (Boulders Beach penguin colony, yacht club, naval museums, sea view restaurants, antique shops, waterfront, boat rides, fishing, beach swimming, whale watching, historic buildings, churches, scenic drives, baboons, submarine tours, pubs, golf course, deep sea diving, views of naval ships / buildings, snorkeling, deep sea diving, kayaking)
• Millers Point (tidal pool, fishing club, baboons, scenic drives, snorkeling, deep sea diving, picnic)
• Red Hill Drive (mountain pass from Simons Town to Scarborough) over the top of the peninsula
• Black Hill Drive (short pass from Sun Valley to Simons Town, quick access) incredibly scenic
• Cape Point Nature Reserve (hiking, picnic area, fauna, flora, wildlife, fishing, Cray fishing)
• Silvermine Nature Reserve (hiking, picnic area, fauna, flora, wildlife)
• Elsie’s Peak Fish Hoek (hiking, fauna flora, wildlife)
• Gym, Spa, Massage Resorts (all in close proximity)
• Doctors rooms and hospitals (all in close proximity)
• Cinema (15 minutes) at Blue Route Mall in Tokai
• Imhoff Farm / Kommetjie / Scarborough (camel rides, horse beach rides, craft markets, organic produce, restaurants with views of Hout Bay, beach swimming, souvenir shops, kite surfing, camping, hiking, lighthouse visits, cray fishing harbour, snake farm, fishing, pubs, mussel picking, scuba)
• Kalk Bay (antique stores, sea view restaurants, pubs, browsing shops, boutique hotels, wine tasting, commercial fishing harbour with harbour wall fishing, whale watching, bakery, ice cream shop, stage theatre, art)
• Muizenberg Beach (popular with surfers connecting at “surfer’s corner”)
• Clovelly (golf course, mini wetlands with wildlife birds)
• Tokai (forest walks, boutique restaurants, picnic, wine tasting, cinema, 48.000m2 shopping mall)
• Constantia (gateway to Constantia Wine Route with historic farms, scenic drives, restaurants, shops)
Galleon Nook is a member of Noordhoek Tourism.