Eating Out in SabieSabie Brewing Company
Where? 45 Main Road, Sabie, Panorama Route, Mpumalanga
When? Monday and Sunday from 11h00 to 17h00.
Tuesday to Saturday from 11h00 to 22h00.
How? Call +27 (0)13 764-1005
Just outside the word-renowned Kruger National Park is the gorgeous little town of Sabie, home to the almost-as-popular Sabie Brewing Company. Situated on the main road of the town, in a charming heritage building, this brewery and restaurant is open seven days a week.
Those who know their beers will, no doubt, enjoy sampling the six hand-crafted ones that are produced here. These are:
• Glynn's Gold – based on a London Ale, this is easy to savour and offers the ideal balance of hops and malted barley.
• Long Tom Lager – a slow-condition beer that boasts a robust malt taste and a hoppy smell.
• Shangaan Stout – smooth, rich and creamy with a chocolatey after-taste.
• Dravidian Draught – influenced by the pale ales brought to South Africa by the British after they colonised India, this is a particularly hoppy ale with plenty of flavour.
• Wheelbarrow Weiss – this is a light, effervescent ale that is best enjoyed with a slice of fresh lemon.
• Cockney Liz – also known as the ‘wild card’, this batch is all about giving the brewer free reign to surprise beer enthusiasts that enjoy spontaneity.
The menu is diverse enough to cater to all palates and preferences. Starters include spicy chorizo and potato croquettes, chicken livers on bruschetta, chicken satay, and deep-fried halloumi. Main courses comprise salads, toasted sandwiches, a meat platter and a cheese platter. In addition, there are firm favourites; like the beef and ale pie, gourmet burgers, lamb curry, fish and chips, eisbein, vegetable pasta, and pan-fried trout fillet with caper-lemon butter.
The original wood features, corrugated iron roof over the outside area, and exposed wooden trusses create a fabulous ambience in which to enjoy such fine flavours. Tours of the brewery can be arranged for four people or more. There are also beer tasting platters that offer patrons a 100ml-sample of each of the beers.
The Sabie Brewing Company can be hired for special events and celebrations, as well as for corporate functions.