Things To Do in BarbertonHeritage Walk
Where? A self guided tour of Barberton in Mpumalanga. Start at the Tourism Office or the local museum.
When? Best during daylight hours.
How much? Free
The town of Barberton may be small, but it has a history steeped in gold and mining; industries that date back to the 19th century. This part of the province of Mpumalanga is known for its quiet, almost endless vistas and its charming character.
The Heritage Walk is a self-guided tour of the historical and cultural delights of Barberton. The map can be collected at the tourist information centre or the Local History Museum, which is a great starting point for any tour of the town. This building tells the tale of the establishment of the town, as well as of the geological and cultural history of Barberton.
Other attractions to be included on the self-guided Heritage Walk include (but are not limited to):
The Blockhouse dating back to 1901, this was one of the first British-style blockhouses in the country, and was built to protect the concentration camp and military hospital.
Belhaven House Museum this preserved home reflects the lifestyle of a typical wealthy middle-class family of the earliest part of the 1900s.
The Gilbert Gikes and Gordon Turbine manufactured in England, this turbine was installed in 1931 and has been reinstalled in its original building especially for the museum.
Rimer's Creek this was a popular hotspot for the miners and barmaids of Barberton during the gold rush. It is full of fun tales and folklore, exchanged amongst regular patrons.
Stopforth House furnished with the original furniture and accessories of the Stopforth family, this house was built in 1886, and continues to delight visitors that love history.
The Barberton Club this was where the real men of the town once met, and the club was known for being the hub for local millionaires. The original posts on which their horses were tethered remain.
The Phoenix Hotel built in 1886, this was one of the most popular hotels in the area. Word has it that even President Paul Kruger stayed here.
Market Square this was where the businessmen and the diggers would meet, with farmers displaying their goods.
The statue of Jock of the Bushveld the famous and loyal companion of Percy Fitzpatrick is honoured for generations to come.
The Steam Locomotive the locomotive was built in 1898 and is an excellent example of the locomotives that were used on the Kaapmuiden-Barberton Railway through the gold rush.
The War Memorial
The Magistrates' Court completed in 1911, this building was known for its opulent fireplaces and terraces.
The Garden of Remembrance dedicated to those British soldiers and others who lost their lives in the Anglo-Boer War, which extended from 1899 to 1902.