Things To Do in BoksburgThe Old Boksburg Law Court
Where? Church Street, Boksburg, East Rand, Gauteng
When? Best during daylight hours.
How? Call Not available
How much? Price on request
The town of Boksburg was established in 1887 to service all the people working in the nearby gold mines. Named after the State Secretary at the time, Boksburg grew to become a fully functional town, with permanent residents, town halls, municipalities, and law courts. The old Boksburg Law Court, which can be found in Church Street, was designed by Sytze Wierda in 1890, who was the chief architect of the South African Public Works Department. The building was finished in 1891 and was used as a court by magistrates and staff, until being commissioned by the Boksburg Municipality from 1958.
The building has been used for community gatherings and by community organizations, and was declared a national monument in 1963. The beautiful architecture of the law courts has been beautifully preserved and are well worth a visit. Another example of Sytze Wierda’s architecture can be found surrounding the law courts, at the old post office building, in Market Street. This building is now a theatre.