Things To Do in Bluewater BayWhale Watching In The Eastern Cape
Where? Bluewater Bay and various other surrounding locations
When? Between July and December every year.
How much? Free
Between July and December of every year, the Eastern Cape coastline is frequented by Southern Right Whales and Humpback Whales. These animals glide past the shore; breaching, lobtailing and spy-hopping as onlookers appreciate their antics from the beach. The warm waters and extensive coastline of the Eastern Cape make this a fabulous whale-watching destination.
Here are the top 12 spots from which to see these magnificent marine mammals in the Eastern Cape Province:
1. Nahoon Beach, Gonubie Beach and Eastern Beach – East London
2. Port Alfred
3. Kenton On Sea
4. Bluewater Bay – Port Elizabeth
5. Pollock Beach - Port Elizabeth
6. The entire stretch between Beachview and Seaview - Port Elizabeth
7. Supertubes – Jeffrey’s Bay
8. St Francis Bay
9. The coast off Tsitsikamma National Park
10. Coffee Bay - Wild Coast
11. Port St Johns - Wild Coast
12. Chintsa - Jikileza Route
All year long, the famous bottlenose dolphins of South Africa can be spotted in our warm Indian Ocean waters, and spotting these is always rewarding.